2018 Jacksonville Sports Medicine Program Symposium 4.5 hour BOC EBP
4.50 BOC Approved Clinical Home Study EBP CEU's
COST: $ 75.00 - EXPIRATION DATE: 2021-12-31
Former Profession Football Head AT & avid sports enthusiast provides his wisdom, research and practical advice for maximizing recovery and performance. Dr. Bauer presents current research in sports concussion and where we are going on the horizon. Address CTE, repetitive trauma, trends and valued research. Ms. Rizer presents the story of her son Derek and battle with opioid addiction and Dr. DeCarvalho shares how the brain really works with the Pleasure Reward Pathway. He also provides real avenues of hope for those addicted to opioids, food, nicotine, porn, etc. Head AT for the Jacksonville Jaguars provides an in depth look at the NFL Concussion program and its potential integration into any program, be it club sports, college, or secondary schools. Dr. Lopez breaks down the components of heat illness for its prevention, treatment and best practices for its practical management. Dr. Lopez serves on the Korey Stringer Institute’s Advisory Board.
Upon completion of the program, are you able to:
1. Define physiological changes resulting from high intensity and prolonged activities which require addressing to accelerate the recovery process.
2. Show the many types of procedures to promote rapid healing and the advantage of each of these procedures.
3. Motivate the attendees to not encourage their athletes to be active with their recovery but for the attendees to utilize their own recovery tools themselves.
4. Identify current standards of interdisciplinary care of concussion and how they are informed by research on concussion risk and recovery.
5. Recognize personal related and injury related factors that affect concussion recovery and that identify key point of intervention.
6. Distinguish between physiological, psychological, and psychosocial indicators of concussion and how their individual recovery curves may not be highly correlated.
7. Understand the anatomical structures of the pleasure reward pathway and how the geographical placement of these structures in the brain play a role in chronic relapse.
8. Understand how strengthening the frontal cortex through different forms of behavioral therapy can help prevent an “explosive” pleasure reward pathway from constantly falling into relapse.
9. Understand how addiction is not a “moral failure” but in fact a medical illness with genetic, development and social ramifications.
10. Review historical events and challenges that have led to the evolution of concussion evaluation, assessment, care and management both on the field and in the clinical setting.
11. Describe the current NFL concussion management protocol along with the participating professionals and cross discipline interactions.
12. Identify specific areas of potential improvement for on field recognition of traumatic brain injury incorporating a variety of professional health care providers.
13. Recognize the signs and symptoms of the different exertional heat illnesses.
14. Review the intrinsic and extrinsic risk factors that can predispose athletes to exertional heat illness.
15. Select the most appropriate treatment for exertional heat illness
TAKING THIS COURSE
This course consists of 5 lessons and a final exam.
The lesson consists of a video lessons. For the final exam, participants can take a maximum of 3 attempts to achieve a passing score of 80% or higher. Participants who achieve a passing score can print out a JSMP EBP BOC certificate of completion. Participants who do not pass the final exam after 3 attempts will need to re-pay for and repeat the entire course to attempt to earn credit.
Student Registration and JSMP Course Instructions
Participants will first have to register as a student by filling out and submitting a completed Innovative CEUs, LLC (ICEU). Student Registration Page .
After registration, click on the ICEU student Home page (Top Navigation button – HOME) to view all available JSMP EBP BOC courses, and click Add to Cart to select the desired course.
After selecting one or more courses, the student may enter COUPON Code (if applicable) and complete the secure CHECKOUT process.
Course Completion Information:
A. 60 days to start course
B. Once course started, 60 days to complete course
After purchase, the course will show on the student Courses Not Started page. (Top Navigation button - Courses Not Started).
To begin the course, just click on the CLICK TO START link next to the course. Once a course has been started, it will then be moved to the Courses in Process, where course lessons (videos) may be viewed and completed.
Complete the Course Final Exam. Once the exam is passed, the course will be posted to the student Completed Courses page.
Complete the End of Course Survey on the Completed Courses Page in order to generate the course completion certificate. Certificates are always available for all completed courses on Completed Courses Page.
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY
Questions about ICEU
Most are answered on our Questions and Answers page. If you do not find what you are looking for you can complete and submit the Contact Us page.
For any problem completing the course or printing out your JSMP BOC EBP Home Study Certificate please either fill out and submit the Contact Us Page or call ICEU directly at 877-817-0230.
PLEASE BE ADVISED, REFUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON COURSES ONCE THE COURSE HAS BEEN STARTED.
About the Instructor
Marcus DeCarvalho, MD,
Marcus DeCarvalho, MD – A leading expert on Opioid addition and brain health is a Medical Doctor who specializes in addiction medicine and psychiatry. He is board certified and is a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. Dr. De Carvalho is the president and founder of The Center for a Healthy Mind and Wellbeing and is the Medical Director for Beaches Recovery, a residential rehabilitation facility that specializes in addiction medicine, partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient addiction treatment.
Owner of Mike Ryan Sports Medicine
The owner of Mike Ryan Sports Medicine, Consultant and Sports Medicine Analyst for NBC Sunday Night Football. With 26 seasons in the NFL, Mike is a renowned national expert speaker and consultant in the sports medicine field. Mike’s unique hands-on approach to injury management and wellness captivates audiences with insight that is easy to understand, simple to apply and produces fast results.
Rebecca Lopez, Ph.D., ATC, LAT
Leading researcher and presenter on Exertional Heat Illness. Dr. Lopez is an Associate Professor in the Department of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine and the Director of the Post-Professional Graduate Athletic Training Program at USF. She is on the Medicine & Science Advisory Board for the Korey Stringer Institute; her research interests include exertional heat illness, hydration, youth sports injury, and preventing sudden death in sports. She has published over 40 peer reviewed publications and has numerous national presentations.
Russ Bauer, Ph.D.,
Dr. Bauer, is a leading researcher at the University of Florida Clinical Health Psychology & Neurology. He has authored over 80 professional papers and currently funded in a collaboration with the UF Clinical & Translational Science Institute (CTSI) to establish a practice-based concussion / traumatic brain injury research network among Florida health practitioner.
Scott Trulock, MA, LAT, ATC
Head Athletic Trainer for the Jacksonville Jaguars
Head Athletic Trainer for the Jacksonville Jaguars with over 12 years of NFL experience. Scott was previously Head Athletic Trainer at the University of North Carolina for seven years. He has also served with the Denver Broncos, Tampa Bay Bucs, and San Diego Chargers.